Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Tasting Sprinkles

I'm sure most of you Arizona natives have been to Sprinkles. It was all the rave when it first arrived. For those who haven't tried it or have never heard of it, this one's for you. Specifically, this one's for my Aunt Bonita (shout-out! <3).
It's my last full day with Grandma. She heads back to the bitter cold Nebraska tomorrow. We've been constantly discussing baking and how my aunt has taken up the hobby of baking cupcakes for parties. I was telling her about Sprinkles and how you can make bank selling cupcakes if you charge enough and have a tempting recipe, of course.
My mom and I decided to take her down there so she can see what the cupcake business is all about. Then she can go back to small town Nebraska to tell my aunt how she should run things.
I had only been to Sprinkles a couple times. Once to see if I wanted to work there when they first opened. The other time was when the Cardinals were playing the Super Bowl and they were handing out free Red Velvet cupcakes to anyone who wore Cardinal attire.
Deciding on which cupcakes to get was a pretty difficult decision. Luckily Grandma and Mom were there to help, otherwise it would be up to Lolo's difficulty status.
We eventually decided on four cupcakes that we could all cut up and sample. They were Red Velvet, their most popular, Chocolate Marshmallow, Pumpkin, and Peanut Butter Chocolate.
 I can't afford nice jeans since I buy $3.50 cupcakes.
Look how adorable!
 Top left: Chocolate Marshmallow. Top right: Red Velvet. 
Bottom Left: Pumpkin. Bottom Right: Peanut Butter Chocolate. 


And the results are in:
1st place: Peanut Butter with four votes.
2nd place: Pumpkin (my mom's favorite and everyone else's second favorite.)
3rd place: Red Velvet and Chocolate Marshmallow tied.

Surprisingly no one was impressed with their world famous Red Velvet. It didn't have much flavor at all. Both the Chocolate Peanut Butter and the Pumpkin had rich flavors. I think the reason Peanut Butter won is because my family is filled with peanut butter lovers. The Pumpkin's cream cheese frosting complemented the spiced cupcake very well. The Chocolate Marshmallow was cute, but the flavor was lacking.
I grabbed a copy of their baking schedule on the way out and I'm definitely going to have to go back on Friday, they have a Chai Latte cupcake. Yum! So many flavors, so little time (and money...and calories.)

1 comment:

  1. Hahaha! "I can't afford nice jeans because I buy cupcakes," cracked me up!

    ReplyDelete