Friday, February 11, 2011

The Little Things

I was originally going to write about coffee today. My alarm didn't go off this morning and I woke up 30 minutes before class started. I didn't have time to make coffee and I was going to inform you all of how I could barely survive without it, but more important issues have surfaced.
Not issues, I guess, but things that make me think.
Today is the last day at the 'ol cubicle job. How I loathed it; going for nearly five hours some days not interacting with any other life form. I live for communication. I used to cry when I'd forget my phone charger at home and my family would decide to go up to the cabin for the weekend. Pathetic, I know. (I've gotten better, I promise!)
This job was not cutting it for me, especially since I want to go into hospitality. I need to interact with people on a daily basis, so as I told you all earlier I got a new job at Oregano's.
I was thrilled when he walked back into the interview and told me I had gotten the job. I thought he was joking originally; I had worked so long and hard for it. Being a full time student and working two jobs is not wise. I know there are plenty of individuals out there who can do it and have to do it in order to support themselves, but I was blessed with supportive parents who insist that school is first priority. So I handed in my letter of resignation to my sweetheart of a boss two weeks ago. I was so nervous; I hated letting them down knowing that they've been so lenient with me.
I've probably talked to my employees more in the past two weeks than I have in the entire year that I've worked here and what I came to realize is that they are all good people. So many of them have walked over to congratulate me and wish me success. And here I was scared that I'd be getting the stink eye this whole time, because I'm deserting them.
What I'm trying to get at is whenever you have the opportunity to get to know people, don't pass it up.
I realized I'm actually going to miss these people. They've been nothing but nice to me (the lazy student worker wearing jeans and a t-shirt who just shows up whenever she can.)
I brought in brownies for my last day and the head of the department walked over and said, "These are delicious brownies. You'll make a good wife someday if you decide you want to get married." This probably sounds ridiculous to all of you, but it was one of the best compliments I could ever receive. One of those statements that "hits home." One that will stay in my memory bank and I'll occasionally think back and smile...just like the man in Estes.
Bierstadt Lake in Estes- Andrea and I went on this hike.

One day I was serving an older couple in Estes and they asked me where I was from. I told them how I wanted to "be on my own" for a bit and just escape the heat. I informed them about my sweet hookup, living in my grandparents' guest house with a roommate and just working full time. The man replied, "Boy, you must be doing something right to be that blessed."
I almost broke down in tears (emotional girly garbage, I know.) It was definitely one of those moments, though. You realize, 'Wow, I am blessed. Life couldn't possibly be any better for me.' I will never forget that moment: small, but inspiring.
Enough of this mushy stuff. I was in the moment and had to share it all with you, I apologize.
But coming up I'll tell you more about Estes (I have some GREAT stories), and I'll eventually get to my post dedicated to the appreciation of coffee. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment