Monday, February 7, 2011

M.I.A.

Sorry everyone, it's been a hectic week.
So...I got a new job. One that I have been working towards for quite a while now. I am now a host/cashier at Oregano's. They jumped me into training that very week I was hired and it's been "go-go-go" ever since.
Unfortunately I haven't been able to work on my Bake It list as much as I would have liked to, but Grandma Bonnie got in town last night, so we're definitely going to knock a ton of those out while she's here!
Saturday I had a lovely lunch with two of my girl friends I haven't seen in quite a while. We ended up going to Wildflower Bread Company. I know what you Arizona natives are thinking, Cool, how exotic. Like we haven't all been THERE before...I know it's nothing spectacular, but I still love this place. There's too much to try; therefore going there is like going to a new restaurant every time. This time I forced myself to try something completely out of the ordinary for me: the Roasted Sweet Potato Sandwich.
The reason why this is such a shocker for me is I used to despise sweet potatoes, but have recently grown to like them, which makes it still a rarity to pay for a sweet potato dish. Another thing is I NEVER order vegetarian options...EVER. Not that I'm a total carnivore, but I want to be full when I'm finished with my meal  if I'm paying for it, and meat seems more promising.
As you can see this baby is stuffed with roasted sweet potato (obviously), caramelized onions, arugula, mozzarella, and what looks like some sort of marmalade or jam all between freshly baked focaccia. Definitely glad I expanded my horizons. Also, if you haven't been to Wildflower they have a large assortment of pastries, too. It's the perfect spot for a brunch date, because they have something for everyone.
Before I had to go into work on Saturday, I told my mom I'd help her figure out what appetizer she should to take to a party that evening. I took a look at my list and decided that baked brie could work. Unfortunately I was so pressed for time, I couldn't take picture of the experiment (which turned out to be a good thing, because it wasn't a pretty sight.)
Although I love her dearly, I shouldn't leave her in charge of buying the groceries for my projects. She ended up buying wedges of brie. Since I was so short on time, luckily I was able to find a recipe that only required cutting off the rinds, spreading raspberry jam on the top, and wrapping it in Pillsbury Crescent dough. Super simple, but it didn't turn out too pretty. I didn't make sure all the edges were sealed, so the cheese and jam oozed out the corners. Plus the shape was just unappealing. Mom was fortunate and got to learn from my mistakes. After she took the rinds off, she shaped it into a wheel and twisted the top of the dough, so it all stayed intact. I would post a picture of hers, but she could only figure out how to take a video of it on her phone. :/ We need to work on that lady.
So the verdict is baked brie needs a redo...I'll only half cross it off for now.
Oh another thing! Once I came home from work on Friday my wonderful mother walks up and says, "I got you something." It was Pioneer Woman's Black Heels to Tractor Wheels! I don't know if you all have heard of her yet, but if you haven't, you must check her out. Her story is amazing and her recipes are to die for. Needless to say I'm nearly halfway through the book and that's saying a lot coming from someone who never reads.
That's all for now. Hopefully you'll hear from me soon, if life slows down at all.

No comments:

Post a Comment