Sunday, April 10, 2011

Jalapeno Popper Grilled Cheese and Cake Batter Cinnamon Rolls

Finally some catchin' up on my Bake-It List!
I updated it, too :D

Saturday was specifically reserved for baking and gluttony with Ali, which ended up being the perfect day for it since it was wet and dreary out. Extremely chilly, too!

We started off the festivities with a stop at In&Out. Ali hadn't tried the Neapolitan  shake. So we each grabbed one of those to hold us over till we started on our intense grilled cheese.

We learned a few lessons from cooking this weekend...you really should read through the entire recipe before you decide to start it. The jalapeno popper grilled cheese recipe wasn't terrible, but we didn't realize we would first have to roast the peppers which takes approximately 40 minutes (we cut the time down to 25 by sticking them in the freezer to cool.) Also I thought I would try to be gourmet and buy a bakery loaf of sourdough that I could slice myself. Turns out there was a huge air bubble in the center which is a bit of an issue when making a grilled cheese. Long story short I had to slice up the entire loaf before I could find four decent slices.

Let me tell you though, the trouble was well worth the flavor. It tasted pretty darn close to a popper. Just spicy enough with the creamy texture and crunchy crust of the sourdough.
I added my own little addition of roasted red pepper jelly as well for dipping. Perfect combination. I got the idea from Arby's, who have the best jalapeno poppers and always serve them with bronco berry sauce.

Pictures courtesy of Ali and her Iphone...I forgot my camera at the apartment.
That's the jelly next to it. Looks a little gross.

About four hours later, we finally regained our appetites. I never would have guessed a grilled cheese and milkshake would leave me so full. Normally I'm a bottomless pit.
It was almost midnight and we decided it was time to take a stab at the cake batter cinnamon rolls. We're both obsessed with cake batter. Ever Coldstone trip: Birthday Cake Remix. No reason to try anything else and be disappointed.
The problem with this recipe is it used PW's cinnamon roll recipe. I've always wanted to try her recipe for them, but unfortunately midnight is not the time to start when you're using yeast and waiting for dough to rise. We agreed that we'd substitute a recipe for quick dough online.

Not very pretty, yet pretty delicious.
Didn't drink that brandy. I SWEAR.
Definitely not nearly as good as they could have been, but the cake batter filling and icing made up for it. We just had to make sure we ate them warm so the dough was nice and soft. So sweet and satisfying :)

No comments:

Post a Comment